Sunday, May 18, 2008

old 97s - blame it on gravity review

I more than owe it to Old 97s to dedicate a post to the review of their new album. As someone who grew up with these guys in his back yard, it's sometimes hard for me to understand that people who aren't Dallas locals still know and love these guys as much as I do...but there are still so many people unaware of their greatness...so for fans and non-fans alike, let's take a look at Blame It On Gravity, the brand new record from Dallas' own, Old 97s:

For those who may have never listened to Old 97s, allow me to explain the three levels that most of their songs fall into for me. I can honestly say that starting with Too Far To Care I don't believe there's a song I will skip. Even the weakest songs on the album are easily enjoyable and worth listening to. These level one songs include Borrowed Bride, Alone So Far, King of all the World, Streets of Where I'm From, to name a few. These songs are sometimes even favorites, just because they're so simple and still so good. From there we move to songs that step it up a notch. Level two is often reached thanks to Rhett's use of words, twisting stories around nice melodies and clever choruses. Past examples of level two Old 97s songs would have to include Niteclub, Rollerskate Skinny (inspired by one Winona Ryder...who I love way more than Rhett ever could), Busted Afternoon, Won't be Home, and plenty of others. Another guest in level two is bass player and king of heartbreak, Murry Hammond. Most of Murry's songs fall here for me, as I can't think of one that I don't love hearing. However, a couple of his songs creep on up into level three. Level three is reserved for the best, and for me, this band is at its best in songs like Timebomb, 4 Leaf Clover, Barrier Reef, Just Like California, and the list goes on. Also, Murry's Valentine as well as one of his Blame it on Gravity songs are definite level three-ers.

So now that you've got a few songs to listen to if you've never heard these guys before, I'll give you the run down on this new album.

Say what you want about Drag it Up, like it or love it, Blame it on Gravity does not follow in its footsteps. Drag it Up featured songs that were written by various members at various times in their lives, which--when assembled, sounded like a sampling of the different eras of Old 97s songs, however it never really conveyed that complete album feel. This album does a much better job of reminding me, as a fan, of the best moments of past albums while still being a new and fresh offering.

It should be noted that a casual Old 97s listener hears songs for what they are, while the rabid Old 97s fan has to also imagine how these songs will sound live, as the Old 97s are known for their excellent live shows which are always full of energy, as evidenced by the name of their live album Alive and Wired. If you are this type of listener, this album cannot disappoint you, as I can say that Salim Nourallah helped record this album with this quality in mind. Every single song on this album can be just as good (if not better) live.

So what of the actual songs? The album features a few new level three members for me, including Here's to the Halcyon, The One, Dance With Me, Early Morning and Murry's The Color of a Lonely Heart is Blue was a slam dunk into level three. Most of the album fits into level two for me though, as this album is full of addictive songs. It's hard to convey how each individual member of this band is so important to the sound of the band as a whole. It's this exact reason that although Rhett's solo offerings feel a bit lackluster to an Old 97s feeling. Rhett needs Ken squealing his way through some solos, he needs Murry's old soul to sing behind him, and he needs his drums pounding through some of the best "train disaster songs" to come along this generation. I think Rhett knows it, and The One is a great way to remind us that these are still 4 goofy guys who have a lot of fun doing what they are doing. This album is a joy to listen to, and I can't wait to hear these songs live for many years to come!

No comments: