Thursday, May 29, 2008

my take on God.

God of War that is.

Thanks to Geeks of Doom, the ever ensuing drama surrounding the God of War movie has been brought to the surface once again. The new drama involves Brett Ratner casually letting it slip that he might direct the long rumored God of War big screen adaptation.

Now...it's worth noting that (thankfully) this is not at all confirmed yet unlike Mr. Ratner's upcoming Miley Cyrus music video project. So with that in mind, allow me to offer you my own take on how this should go down.

On the directing end I'll give you a couple out there, probably never going to happen ideas, as well as a more realistic idea. Ideally, I would like to see Guillermo del Toro at the helm. We've seen what he did with Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth, so he obviously understands a few of the absolutely necessary components of GoW, mainly being epic and mystical, not to mention the interaction between worlds. With that said, I suppose you could tack Peter Jackson in as a fantasy, but there's no way that's happening.

I will take a second to deviate from what I've been reading in other articles though, as I may be the only person in the world not begging for Zak Snyder to jump on this project. Sure 300 was vivid and definitely epic in scale, and as much as I enjoyed it, I don't want to see another one, and I especially don't want to see GoW turned into 300 part II.

So for more realistic options? I suggest Andrew Adamson. He's no A-lister just yet, but his Narnia films manage to really take in the scale of a book series that is larger than life. Sure, they aren't as tough and gritty as God of War is, but I'm willing to make two assumptions, 1) Adamson is probably not incapable of making a tougher movie, and 2) it probably doesn't matter, because no matter what, this is still a video game movie, and video game movies never work. Has Hollywood seriously not learned this yet? Anyway, for my other slightly realistic option, I'd say Danny Boyle, who is coincidentally the opposite of Andrew Adamson. Boyle is dirty and gritty, experienced, but we've never really seen him deal with anything quite as epic as GoW.

My thoughts on the man himself, Kratos, are much easier to sum up. For one, it seems like everyone is saying that Honsou is your man, and I can see how that could work, but I can't say he would be my first choice. Honestly, my first choice would be Dominic Purcell. I've loved him since I watched John Doe, he's a bit of a "rising star" with his work on Prison Break, and once again...this is a video game movie. That doesn't mean that the actor should be talentless though. I see people talking about how they should just get (insert wrestler/fighter name here) to play the part...no they shouldn't. I don't care who it is, you won't convince me.

So, other than Dominic Purcell? How about Billy Zane? He'd need to bulk up a bit, but at least he's Greek, and he's no stranger to video game movies either.

So there you go. I pose you three questions: Who do you think should direct? Who do you think should star? and Is there any way to bring Telly Savalas back to life so that he could play the part? Because as we all know, Telly was Greek, bald, and definitely a badass.

1 comment:

emily said...

you're posts sure are lengthy. sorry my attention span won't cover enough of it to give you a worthy comment. i'm not the best at things.