Monday, May 19, 2008

back to the nerdery.

So I've been doing some music reviews lately, (and there's plenty more to come) but my geeky heart went crazy today when I saw the following video. For over a year I have been excited about upcoming advances in multi-touch based computer environments. It's been awesome to watch Jeff Han's examples of what the future of multi-touch could be, and then today Digg gives me a look at the next step. It is apparent now that multi-touch concepts WILL be the future of computing, as now people are not only designing the basic workspace, we are now seeing fully functional applications that use multi-touch interaction to make massive amounts of information easily accessible. This is truly amazing...I cannot wait.

2 comments:

Walter said...

It will definitely be a future worthy of The Minority Report! What I really look forward to with multi-touch interfaces is the ability for a machine to recognize which specific finger is being used. This holds many more interesting applications than "there are x points being touched on the screen at the following coordinates...". Imagine being able to assign separate Photoshop brushes to each finger on each hand.

But I've gotta say, the applications for the semantic web seem even more endless and useful. The demo in the TED Talks video is testimony to it. We've gained the ability to create and pool data so quickly that we're unable to process it all. So computers will have to step in and do it for us - weeding out everything but what we specify as useful in a certain instance.

JD said...

yes, we cannot forget the theory of singularity. Kurzweil believes that by 2050 humans will not be responsible for a majority of technological advancement because we will have developed computers that will literally compute their own advancements. I'm not sure I agree entirely, but these are things we must consider.